It’s been a year to the day and I do have to say that in particular today I do miss the UK. I miss the people, the buzz, the shitty weather, the humour, the innovation, the endless possibilities and sheer friendliness that somehow seems to be lacking over here in the big City of the cool !
This is not to say I do not like Berlin, quite the opposite, it has its many perks and there is still too much more to be discovered to be leaving already. I would be open to a new adventure though, but then again, I always am :). Anyway, to sooth the feeling of missing my old British home, I decided to make some delicious flapjacks and have a cup of Earl Grey to go with it. Its just priceless and it really did the trick. Saying that, it may just have triggered wanting to pay London a visit rather sooner than later.
I won’t spare you of the health benefits these fibre rich treats have. I for one, added linseeds, grated carrot, walnuts, red currants, dates, almonds and a good dash of cinnamon. I used ghee and coconut oil instead of butter and molasses and maple syrup as a sugar replacement . Goodness on a plate to say the least and here is what you need:
Ingredients: ideally organic
75g coconut oil
50g maple syrup
350g porridge oats
50g grated carrot
30g walnuts (roughly chopped)
30g almonds (roughly chopped)
30g dates finely chopped
30g red currants
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
coconut yoghurt to garnish
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180C
2. Melt the coconut oil and ghee, add the molasses, maple syrup cinnamon and vanilla until all is well combined
3. Mix the dry ingredients well, then pouring in the oil mix and stir until well combined
4. line a baking tin with baking paper, pour in the mix and bake at 180C for 30 minutes until golden brown.
5. leave to cool down a little before cutting into squares .
6. Serve on its own or with some plain coconut yoghurt which adds some nice freshness and balances the sweetness.