During the summer months we probably all prefer to spend more time outside than in the kitchen. That’s why I love summer bakes. They are quick and easy to prepare and taste delicious hot or cold. Add lots of greens, herbs and summer berries to your liking- done. This fiber rich sweet potato bake with lots of garlic, red onions, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary is topped with salty feta, refreshing pomegranate and toasted pumpkin seeds. The combination of ingredients not only brings the taste of summer, it also delivers a good amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Feel free to add other fresh salad leaves and herbs like parsley or basil for some extra fiber, vitamins and antioxidants.
Sweet Potato Summer bake with Feta, Pomegranate & fresh herbs- serves 2-3
300g Sweet potato
400g butter beans
1 small to medium size whole garlic bulb
200g cherry tomatoes
1-2 small red onion
1 lemon – juice and grated zest
1-2 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary and thyme
3-4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper ( 1 tsp, if you like it hot)
150g feta or goats cheese crumbled
50g tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven at 180C. Peel the sweet potato and carrot and cut into 2cm size cubes. Peel red onions and cut into wedges. Peel garlic cloves or cut the bulb in half. In a small bowl mix 2-3 tbsp olive oil with 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. Zest and then juice the lemon.
2. Place the sweet potato, carrots cubes, onions, garlic, whole cherry tomatoes in a ovenproof dish. Drizzle the cayenne oil and 1 tbsp of lemon on top, season with salt and pepper and give a good stir. Make sure that all the vegetables are coated with olive oil. Bake for 45 minutes in the oven until nicely soft and caramelized.
3. In the meantime drain the beans and set aside. Rinse the rocket and prepare the pomegranate. Next, remove the leaves from the sprigs and roughly chop the rosemary. The thyme does not need chopping.
4. After 30-35 minutes add the beans and 1/2 the fresh herbs. stir well and bake for another 15 minutes.
5. Serve the baked vegetables on a bed of rocket, with feta, pomegranate, the rest of the herbs and a touch of lemon zest.
Because the feta is quite salty, I recommend to leave it to your guests to season their portions to taste at the table.